[TowerTalk] insurance and towers

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] insurance and towers
From: "Jim Jarvis" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:34:54 -0500

In the course of commenting on tower ratings, I realized that
I hadn't seen a post on insurance.  Or if I had, I've forgotten.

In the US, in the post-9/11 environment, the insurance industry
has become highly risk averse.  They had under-priced homeowners
insurance in many areas of the country, as a loss-leader for more
profitable lines, like life and auto.  (and the payout on the NY towers
was shared across the entire industry.)

In addition, there is now a firm called "CLUE", or Comprehensive
Loss Underwriters Exchange, which provides a loss history which
all carriers can see.

As a result, you need to be VERY careful with what you claim.
Or even inquire about.

In 2002, in the backwash of hurricane Lili, I lost a 100' tower
and antenna system when a 90' oak fell across a guyset.  In the
same storm,  I had a branch break off a 150' tall white pine, and
damage my roof.  The insurance company logged that as two claims.

Earlier that year,  we had two events with large trees downed, touching
the house.  I called the insurance carrier to verify coverage in one.
My wife called in the other, as I was away.   They logged them as
claims, with no payout.

Now, I am having difficulty getting homeowners insurance on my place in MD,
even though I am not in the deep woods any longer.  I'm paying double the
rate, with a carrier which is in state receivership. I will continue
in that situation for a period of 3 years.

And THAT was after 30 years with the same carrier having home, car, boat,
$1M liability umbrella, and life insurance, and no real claims history.

Short form:  It may be worthwhile to examine specific tower insurance,
through the ARRL program.  Some homeowners policies are excluding towers
and other accessory structures, as well, so you have to check.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.