Re: [TowerTalk] pushup mast source and other comments

To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] pushup mast source and other comments
From: Roger D Johnson <>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:49:29 -0500

> Get a bunch of cheap knockoff locking pliars for 3 to 5 bucks each (about
> what a thimble and 3 clips would cost but don't get visegrips or you will
> broke) and pull the rope tight through the earth screw eye and clamp it
> the locking pliars. get the needlenose pliars as they can handle two
> each. These hold the rope fine and are a walk in the sun compared to
> kneeling in the snow for a half hour with nut drivers, pliars, etc.
> tightening clips.

Do you clamp the rope around the eye, or at some distance?  I'm having a
tough time visualizing exactly what you're clamping here.  Off hand, I love
the idea of using inexpensive clamping pliers.. You could use the slack end
of the rope to tie around the pliers to make sure they don't unclamp.

Use a clove hitch. Very easy to set proper tension. The clove
hitch needs tension to stay tied so add a couple of half hitches
when done.

73, Roger

Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)