RE: [TowerTalk] self supporting tower question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] self supporting tower question
From: Bill Austin <billaustin@powernet.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:21:50 -0800
This is a big no-no. Usually, you can safely go larger than the manufacturer specifies, but never smaller. You should not have anything that will rust sticking through the concrete. There really isn't much you can do for anchoring that will be better than concrete against undisturbed earth.

Don't go cheap when putting up a tower. Spend a little extra and do it right the first time. The little you save is nothing compared to what you may spend on damage claims or funeral expenses.

Bill
KD7ZAH

I have a question on putting up an 80ft Rohn SSV tower. Id like to make my base a little smaller then recommended to save money on concrete. Is it possible to put down earth anchors in the hole and connect them to the cage to gain additional reinforcement? Ive read some things that suggest that this is possible, but what have you guys experienced? Thanks alot. 73

Mark
W0NCL