[TowerTalk] Tower safety equipment

Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower safety equipment
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:51:52 -0500
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Safety belts. Was: 60th Birthday

>>  What belts do people recommend? There seems to be a wide range of prices.

Safety "belt" is kind of a generic term plus it doesn't really describe what
you need. These days just about everyone is using a fall arrest harness with a
positioning lanyard (the one that hooks to the waist D-rings and holds you in
work position) and a fall arrest lanyard that attaches to the D-ring between
the shoulder blades. Using this ensemble let's you be attached to the tower
100% of the time for maximum protection.

Fall arrest harnesses can run from about $90 ( to a
couple of hundred bucks for a Klein or similar professional grade.

Like Bill, K4XS, I highly recommend an adjustable lanyard - one size DOESN'T
fit all. But for low cost it's hard to beat a 4-foot rope one for $39.00.

BTW OSHA rules only allow fall arrest harnesses anymore no safety belts. As a
non-professional you can use whatever you want but the trend is towards more
protection and if you're like me, you're more safety conscious now than when
you were younger.

Steve     K7LXC
Champion Radio Products &
Cell: 206-890-4188