Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower Safety Equipment

To: TowerTalk Post <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower Safety Equipment
From: Phil Camera <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:46:19 -0600
And, if I may make my regularly scheduled transmission of safety information concerning fall protection.

One poster mentioned that he only used a rope lanyard rather than a shock absorbing lanyard, which is to be attached to the D Ring on the back of your full body harness. When the average 300 lb. individual falls, if the fall is abruptly stopped like when using a non shock absorbing lanyard, the force exerted on the body and harness is about 5000 lbs. That's enough to tear you up. Using a shock absorbing lanyard, the forces are mitigated down to about 500 lbs. When that is applied to a properly fitting full body harness, those loads are transferred to the strongest bones in the body, your hips.

The poster from below mentions the safety cable, which is a good idea except it must also be designed properly. OSHA dictates that all fall protection attachment points be capable of withstanding a 5000 lb. load. 3/8 wire rope has a working load limit of less than 3000 lbs. Also, the attachment up top must be very robust. Inquiring minds may want to know. Be safe, Phil KB9CRY

While we are on the topic to tower safety, let me make my regularly scheduled

plug for a permanent safety system on your tower. This can be as simple as a 3/8" galvanized steel cable that is well anchored to the top of the tower and runs down one face. You then use a trailing cable grab on your safety lanyard, and you are always "clipped on".<