Re: [TowerTalk] Help need Vacuum Relay Isolation 1.8 to 30 MHz

To: "RCARIELLO" <>,"Towertalk" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help need Vacuum Relay Isolation 1.8 to 30 MHz
From: "Jim Lux" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:26:51 -0800
What brand and model relay?
This is a spec that is usually given in the data sheet.
A typical value might be something like 40 or 50 dB isolation. (see, for
instance, )
Gives a couple pF as the capacitance between contacts. At 30 MHz, that's
about 2-3Kohms.. into 50 ohms, that's about 34 dB...
shows attenuations of 30dB for 300 MHz for the smaller ones.. The isolation
is probably in the 40-50 dB range for 30 MHz (factor of 10 frequency, factor
of 10 impedance, 20dB signal difference)

So.. 1500 W, less 40 dB isolation, is 0.15 Watts.  That's a pretty hefty
signal (+21 dBm) especially compared to the -100 dBm or less you're seeing
from the desired signals.

Do you have some additional isolation in the form of traps, etc.?

Granted, a "real relay" in a "real system" might work better.

The other technique is to run two relays in series.... some switching
topologies will do this naturally.