[Top] [All Lists]

RE: [TowerTalk] RE: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 25, Issue 12

To:,"C. Dwight Baker" <>,<>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] RE: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 25, Issue 12
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:30:49 -0800
List-post: <>
At 01:15 PM 1/5/2005, D. Scott MacKenzie wrote:
If you look at Kevin's page, it appears that One Man Towers USA has
absolutely no relation to VK4VD - and that they ripped off his design.  If
that is true, then I do not blame Kevin for not supplying engineering
drawings, taking on liability for something that he had no control over -
especially in the litigious USA.

If you need engineering drawings, then hire a PE (Professional Engineer) to
provide those drawings and his "stamp".  It would probably cost more than
you paid for the tower....unless you have a friendly ham engineer - but make
sure that it is a Mechanical or Civil Engineer with a PE, and not a EE :).

That depends a lot on the state. In some states, any PE can sign any plans that they feel competent to evaluate. In others, there's restrictions. For instance, in California, a CivE can sign off on electrical plans, but an EE can't sign off on Civil Plans. It's a historical artifact... Civils have been licensed almost since the Gold Rush days, EEs came along much later, and by that time, the CivEs had a lot more clout and had actually been doing the EE work anyway.

There's also this sort of strange distinction between "practice act" and "title act" engineers in California. One requires licensing to do the work (practice engineering) and the other requires licensing to use the title (calling yourself a petroleum engineer, for instance).

There are efforts to try and regularize things, to make all states consistent, etc. However, there's a lot of politics involved, it really affects a fairly small number of people, so there's no real lobby trying to drive any changes through. If you're a glutton for punishment, you can read recommendations of the CA Board at

Somehow, I doubt that this is a burning issue for the Legislature.

Jim Lux


See: for "Self Supporting Towers", "Wireless Weather Stations", and lot's more. Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with any questions and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.

TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>