Re: [TowerTalk] KT34XA Torque Balance

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KT34XA Torque Balance
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:11:56 -0600

I recall that this aspect of antenna design and the calculations are addressed in David Leeson's book, "Physical Design of Yagi Antennas."

Actually Dave's work in his book was not correct and has been replaced with the cross flow
work of Dick Weber, K5IU. I sent the following info off-line to W4EF but it is probably
useful to a number of others since time has passed and we all tend to forget some
of these postings when they are not relevant at the time.

Here is a (probably too long) collection of posts to this reflector in the past that address
the issue of torque balance. And the info references the original publications for further
reading.

73--John W0UN

Large Antenna Wind Loading

A N Thompson <mailto:w7xu%40juno.com>w7xu@juno.com
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 23:04:08 PST

While Mr. Leeson's book ("Physical Design of Yagi Antennas") is very informative, he is unfortunately incorrect in his analysis and comments on torque compensation (chapter 6). There is no need for dummy elements. The correct way to torque balance an antenna is described by Dick Weber, K5IU, in several articles that appeared in Communications Quarterly ("Determination of Yagi Wind Loads Using the 'Cross-Flow Principle,' " Spring 1993; "Aerodynamic Balancing: Part 1," Summer 1994; and "Aerodynamic Balancing: Part 2," Winter 1995).

73, Arliss W7XU

[TowerTalk] RE: Rotator ratings

from [<http://lists.contesting.com/_towertalk/1997-03//archives//cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bfrom%3Adickrts%40texoma.net&idxname=Towertalk&sort=date%3Alate>Dick Weber] [<http://lists.contesting.com/_towertalk/1997-03//archives//cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=Towertalk&i=01BC33CB.2796C060%40ppp1004.texoma.com>Permanent Link][<http://lists.contesting.com/_towertalk/1997-03//archives//cgi-bin/extract-mesg.cgi?a=Towertalk&m=1997-03&i=01BC33CB.2796C060%40ppp1004.texoma.com>Original]