[TowerTalk] Re: Rotor for TX-455

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Rotor for TX-455
From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:28:45 -0500

> What rotors work well in USTowers' TX-455?  The T2X will not fit and it
appears
> a Ham IV (8" dia) will not make it in the 7 1/8" ID of the top section.
Ants
> will be at least a tribander (e.g., Explorer 14, KT34M2 or SteppIR 3L)
plus 3L
> WARC. Thanks, Bill K1CN

I have a TX-455 with a HAM IV (turning a SteppIR 3L).  I did not need to
remove the rotor shelf to install it.
As mentioned before, you need to extend the top tower section a little
(while it is horizontal) to insert
the rotor --- it will take a few seconds to find a way to insert it through
the braces but there should be no
real problem.

There can be sharp edges from the galvanizing on the tower. Be careful with
cable routing. Weather, the
weight of other cables, etc, etc, can make cables want to flex at just the
wrong places.

FWIW, I installed the SteppIR while the tower end was about 5' above the
ground.  I first installed the boom
(with only three of the four boom sections)
contining only one end element.  After this was clamped to the mast, I then
installed the center element (working
from a medium step ladder).  I then cranked the tower up a little more (to
where the SteppIR mast/boom
connection was about 9' above ground) and installed the remaining boom
section and the "bottom" element.
 Working from the step ladder
I then completed the wiring.  Finally I cranked the tower (with beam)
vertical ---- no problems other than
being careful with the small wires (#22 or #24) in the SteppIR cable.

Bill
W2WO