Re: [TowerTalk] geo888@cs.com

To: "Mike D." <hrg@cifnet.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] geo888@cs.com
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:09:29 -0500
This is drifting a wee bit off topic, but...

It would be simpler to eliminate subscriptions from e-mail forwarding
accounts (e.g. qsl.net, arrl.net, amsat.org, ieee.org, etc.). I administer
several lists using MAILMAN software, like this list. All of my lists
prohibit subscriptions from forwarding accounts.

I have cable access and I use specific e-mail addresses for any sign up so I know from whence people get the addresses. Of course this address could be obtained by a virus or trojan on any TowerTalk subscriber's machine.

Using addresses that way you can understand why I have about 40. That included those used for business as well. Out of the 40 only 6 are on the cable. This address is one of the 6.

However it requires an arrangement with the ISP that hosts my web site and mail so I effectively mail from that site.

Using the contesting .com mailing to discover addresses no longer in use might be good. Delete the ones that bounce and in the case of the remailer, look at the contents. I admit that is most likely no trivial matter with a very large mailing list.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

73 de Mike, N9BOR

But this raises problems for those who LIKE the redirection provided by an email alias. You could send email to my ieee.org address forever, without having to worry about where I might work now. This is particularly important when you put email addresses on things which have long durations (like journal articles).

Or, for personal email, if you decide to change ISPs (or your ISP changes their domain name), it's much easier to change the redirect in a few places, rather than all the places you've happened to subscribe over the years.

Mind you, it DOES create a problem if you don't take on the responsibility for keeping things up to date.

One could also argue that the mailing list owner should periodically "test" all the target emails (one by one) to see which ones bounce (even from an alias). Many lists (including this one) send out monthly reminders, and within the reminder email is the address to which the message was sent. If the bounces from those emails came back to the list administrator, it would be a simple matter to figure it out. It's even easier, if the subject line included the email address, then you don't have to count on the bounce process sending back the original email.

In fact, that brings up an interesting question, why aren't those monthly messages to geo888@cs.com's alias getting bounced back to mailman-bounces@contesting.com?