[TowerTalk] Tower Conundrum

Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Conundrum
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:53:28 -0500

From: Bill Powell <>

> So far, the AN looks very nice but the advertised price is simply outta the
> ball-park.

Hi, Bill --

You may or may not know that I'm a Trylon dealer and have sold around 200 of
the Trylon Titans. I'm also a professional tower installer and have installed
10-12 of them among the almost 200 amateur stations I've worked on over the

The cost of a tower is a direct proportion to the amount of steel in it. The AN
towers are pretty heavy duty - that is, they've got lots of steel in them - and
they're commensurately expensive. The Trylon Titans are light to medium duty
towers and have very attractive costs and much lower shipping costs.

> Trylon just doesn't turn me on with their construction and complete lack of
> pre-sales technical

Well, I'm not sure what you were expecting but no tower I've ever erected came
with instructions; the documentation was mostly shop drawings of the parts.
Mostly they're pretty logical and just a big Erector Set. The most complete
data and specs for towers is from Rohn but that won't help you much with the
Trylons. I do have what documentation that's available from the factory
downloadable from my website - - at the bottom of the
Towers page.

BTW at the bottom of the page is a link to the saga of the Trylon installation
of Scott, KA9FOX, with tons of pictures. Take a look. His tower is the most
popular for ham applications - the T500-72 has lots of capacity and a moderate

I am very happy to pass along ALL the tricks-of-the-trade I've picked up in
regard to tower construction (along with any other tower-related topic you want
to discuss) so if you want the REAL story and techniques, give me a call.

Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Cell: 206-890-4188

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.