Re: [TowerTalk] Wires from a Freestanding Tower

To: "Jan Erik Holm" <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wires from a Freestanding Tower
From: "Jerry Keller - K3BZ" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:40:39 -0500
So do I. From the photos, it is indeed an antenna disaster of major proportions. In an area prone to ice storms this kind of wipeout must happen periodically, though, and it brings to mind one of the best features of the SteppIR yagis... when an ice or wind storm is expected, one can withdraw the metallic element tapes into the motor housings on the boom, leaving only the hollow fiberglas tubes as particularly vulnerable to damage. The fiberglas tubes have shown a remarkable ability to bend and rebound without damage even with thick ice deposits, but in the unlikely event one were to be damaged, it's not very expensive to replace (last I heard, about $25 from the mfr.). With access to the boom, it's not a tough job either... the glas tube slides in and is secured by a rubber weather-boot (Home Depot or Loew's)and a couple of SS hose clamps. Maybe Pat will be looking at the SteppIR as replacement for the obviously more vulnerable aluminum, because the terrible damage in those photos shouldn't happen to anyone even once, but certainly not more than once.
73, Jerry K3BZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Erik Holm" <sm2ekm@telia.com>