Re: [TowerTalk] There's 'ground', and then there's 'ground'

To: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] There's 'ground', and then there's 'ground'
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:58:02 -0800
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>
To: "towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Cc: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 10:28 AM

> But note that special fittings are required for connecting aluminum
> conductors to copper ones to avoid corrosion resulting from electrolytic
> action.
>
> Alan NV8A

You bet... and I'll bet there's a bunch of specialized aluminum cable
fittings for lightning protection systems, along with conductive glop and
protective glop, special crimp ferrules, a nifty $200 Felco crimper,
etc.,etc., etc.

It's that "proper installation" thing.. and I'll bet that the casual
installer probably isn't aware of most of it, nor is ALL the stuff available
at the local megamart, just some of it. (probably enough to be dangerous).

Sort of like lots of RF connectors.  The crimp on SMAs are better than the
solder on ones, but you've got to have hundreds of dollars in tooling to do
it right.