[TowerTalk] Why NOT to use PL259 connectors

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Why NOT to use PL259 connectors
From: "William Turini" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:44:28 -0800
This lengthy discussion about the difficulty of installing PL259 connectors
has reaffirmed my decision long ago to go with N connectors and adapters.

Only one simple solder joint.

Don't complain about cost, even the cheapest ham can find them new at
hamfests for less than a buck. Similiarly with adapters.

Although the coolest soldering "device" for attaching braid to a PL259
connector I ever say was two carbon electrodes and a 30amp 6 volt
transformer. Clamp the electrodes across the PL259 and feed in the solder as
fast as you can.  Less than 2 sec per connector. Really slick. :-)

Bill   KA4GAV

Bill Turini                                     (425) 787-4477

IT & Facilities Manager

Cypress Semiconductor - Washington Design Center

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.