Re: [BULK] - RE: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid - Installing PL259

To: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>, "'W7TMT'" <patrick@dayshaw.net>,"'Tower Talk'" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [BULK] - RE: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid - Installing PL259
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:01:28 -0800
> ::The published assembly data is for non-commercial use.   The military
> specification is actually specification #PL-259.  I haven't looked to see
if
> this is public domain or not, but most military specifications are *not*
on
> line, and are available from the Government Printing Office (mail order)
or
(http://www.doceng.com).
> Although this is an old military specification, it was drafted by
Amphenol,
> as the inventor company.

Kind of an odd specification number, but, since that connector probably
antedates World War II and all the modern style of specification (I'd expect
a MIL-C-xxx type spec for a connector), it could well be.

Does the military even use PL-259/SO-239 type connectors any more?  Most of
the specs I've seen recently call out TNC, BNC, N, and SMA  for low power RF
(less than 20 GHz and less than a few watts) and "coaxial or waveguide,
subject to approval" for high power.

I ran across an reference to MIL-HDBK-454, which might be useful.."General
Guidelines for Electronic Equipment"