Re: [TowerTalk] N connectors pulling off

To: "Bill VanAlstyne, W5WVO" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N connectors pulling off
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:12:33 -0500
Possibly you are not getting the braid conductors all flat when installing. You must not have any of the strands overlap others. If you do that raises that part of the connector fit and the rest will not fit tight.

73

Gary K4FMX

Bill VanAlstyne, W5WVO wrote:
The thread on PL-259s has been very instructive, and appreciated. But I'm
having problems with genuine Amphenol N connectors (clamp/solder type)
installed on Belden 9913F7 coax. And yes, I did buy the type of N connector
specified for this cable type (82-202-1006, as opposed to the 82-202
characterized for RG-8).

Problem is, the connectors seem to pull off very easily, especially after
they have been installed for a year or so. My preliminary hypothesis is that
the dielectric, braid shield, and jacket gradually "shrink back" from the
center conductor, which (since the center conductor, when mated with a
receptacle, can't go forward) tends to pull the braid out of the grasp of
the threaded-on clamp that is supposed to secure it. And so the connector
pulls off easily. I believe that this is what's happening because, when I
reassemble the connector to the cable end without recutting anything, the
center conductor pin protrudes further forward than it is supposed to -- further than it did when originally installed. Then, when I screw the
connector onto its mating receptacle, the center pin and cable body are
forced backward, pulling the braid out of the connector clamp. At least,
this is what I THINK is happening.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with N connectors,
and if so, is it just with this type of coax/connector I'm using, or is this
phenomenon common to all N connectors and coax of this size. And, of course,
is there a "fix" that will prevent this from happening? Is there a better
way to install clamp/solder N connectors than the method specified by
Amphenol? Are the crimp-on N connectors better? If so, how much does the
crimping tool cost?

Bill / W5WVO