Re: [TowerTalk] horizontally polarized antennas and salt water

To: "Jim Lux" <>,"Stephen Reichlyn" <>,<>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] horizontally polarized antennas and salt water
From: Pete Smith <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:00:45 -0500
At 11:21 AM 1/18/2005, Jim Lux wrote:

Pete Smith wrote:
> It does, but not a bunch.
> I quickly modeled a 40m yagi at 104 feet over average ground versus salt
> water.  Forward gain went from 11.86 dBi (avg) at 18 degrees to 12.45 dBi
> (salt).  Takeoff angle, interestingly, went up one degree for the better
> ground plane.  Moving the antenna down 6 feet over salt water moved the
> takeoff angle up 1 more degree, from 19 to 20 degrees.

Just as an idle question..  I wonder if the gain change is due to a pattern
shape change (narrower main lobe), or due to a reduction in losses. The
average gain number would tell you, since it's integrated over all look

It appears to be reduced losses. The average gain over salt water is -0.06 dB; over average ground it is -0.96 dB, per NEC-2.

73, Pete N4ZR