[TowerTalk] horizontally polarized antennas and salt water

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] horizontally polarized antennas and salt water
From: <kk9a@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:39:49 -0000
Perhaps signals travel better over salt water?  My single 4 element beams in
Aruba seems to work much better than my 6 / 6 stacks in Illinois.

John  KK9A / P40A
http://www.iguanavilla.com

From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:41:22 -0800

<snip>
Very interesting...In fact, the directivity is less with the salt water...
The difference in foward gain is about 0.5 dB, but the difference in loss is
0.9 dB, so the "extra" 0.4dB must be going into making the main lobe
"fatter".

All in all, though, such a small difference that you'd never see it in real
life.

Jim, W6RMK