[TowerTalk] Yaesu G-800-S Rotator Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-800-S Rotator Question
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:21:04 -0800
The control box of our GS-800S rotator is not very user friendly, demanding attention for the duration of the rotation of the beam. The rotation speed though, is great...seems twice as fast as say, a Hygain Ham series... If you are swinging the beam a long fraction of a circlel, get distracted, and forget to stop at the desired heading, the rotator goes to the mechanical stop and, stops. The LEFT -RIGHT rotate switch is still depressed, with a mechanical latch.

Question 1:
If the switch is still depressed, when the rotor comes to it's mechanical limit stop, does the motor turn off, or does it continue to try to crank against the stop?

Question 2:
The left-right rotate rocker switch is bumped to the center posiition to stop rotation. there is a weak detent between the three positions available to the switch. If you are rotating clockwise and bump just a little too hard to center, off position, the switch may end up in counter clockwise rotation, instantaneously. If that happens, does the rotator have any delays, or graceful,safe way to reverse direction without putting huge stresses on the mechanicals? If not, I can see easily stripped gears, broken rotors, etc.. Yaesu service and parts makes extra money....
Tnx

Pat Barthelow aa6eg@hotmail.com