Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding

To: "C. Dwight Baker" <cdwightbaker@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding
From: Phil Camera <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:02:32 -0600

C. Dwight Baker wrote:

TT:

Here's the situation. I have a tower that is 130 feet from entrance to my
shack and it is connected with a 3 inch plastic pipe. I am running 2 LMR-600
coax, rotor control, and 2 antenna switches on the tower. Should I run a #4
bare copper ground wire inside the pipe from the tower to the SPG at the
entrance to the shack; run the copper wire along side of the pipe or just
ignore the #4 connecting the two together?

Connect the two grounds together. I'd run the wire outside the pipe so if it gets energized it won't bleed over into the coax and if its touching earth, energy will dissipate into the ground; that's where lightning wants to go, to ground.

Further, the tower legs are grounded with 3 inch copper strap at about 25-30
degree angle from the tower to 8 feet copper ground rods about 8 inches
below grade and the rods are connected with 3 inch copper strap.

Sounds fine but according to Polyphaser each leg should have up to 85 ft worth of ground radials with rods every 2x rod length. Personally I don't have exactly 85 ft. worth on each of mine but they all are more than 55 ft in length.

Lightning is my main concern. Advice from all you wise sages please.

Dwight