RE: [TowerTalk] Repetition

Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Repetition
From: Mel <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:40:54 -0500
I put up a small interlaced yagi for 12/17 that weighs very little. I
thought I was way over designing by putting up a T2X. It's been up about 8
months and I've already had it down once for maintenance (was a problem with
the connector), a defective meter had to be replaced (MFJ sent me a free
replacement... No real complaint), the directional pot is starting to jump
around, and more than once it has refused to turn in the cold WX. Perhaps
I'm just unlucky, but next time I'll use something more expensive! It's also
worth remembering that some amateurs don't do their own tower climbing, so a
couple of trips up the tower negates any cost saving by not getting a solid

BTW, in this climate, I would recommend a $1000 rotator to turn a 3 el

Rick Karlquist wrote:
> Tom Martin said:
>>Also, why do the majority of the hams on here make recommendations for
>>rotors that are overkill for the antennas to be turned and very
>>costly? Not everyone that reads this reflector has two or more towers
>>with muli-stacked arrays.  I really don't think that you need a $1000
>>rotor to rotate a 3 element SteppIR!

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.