Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ-1025/1026

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ-1025/1026
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:53:52 -0600
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:05:08 EST, wrote:

>I have been evaluating a MFJ-1026

I've played with a similar product, the ANC-4, here at my very noisy
Chicago QTH. My observations are pretty much the same as Bob's -- it
can help with a single source, but you need a decent noise-sense
antenna and the balancing act needs continuous attention. None of
this is at all surprising -- it's inherent in the design concept.

The relatively early version of the ANC-4 that I have has a serious
problem with fundamental overload by local broadcast stations with
any significant length of wire attached, which also limits its
usefullness. Later versions added a front end filter.

BTW -- these units can also be used to null individual birdies from
sources like the local oscillators in radios and similar trash. The
problem I have here is literally hundreds (or even thousands) of
sources, so the best I can do is choose the most obnoxious and try
to kill it. Occasionally it helps enough to improve copy a bit.
Another use for these boxes is as a way to bring a separate receive
antenna into a receiver that lacks a separate receive antenna input
(like my TS850).

Jim Brown  K9YC

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.