Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:17:20 -0500

I'm hoping that history has added the subject of shack wiring, both RF and AC, to the range for Towertalk -- if others disagree, I apologize.

My entire shack is on a single 110V circuit (separate 220 for the amplifier). Recently I have begun to get low voltage warnings (104.5 volts) from my UPS in the morning, and so have put a digital voltmeter on the circuit. With no load except for the computers (2), the UPS and the

I take it you are reading before the UPS and that only the computers are on the UPS?

table light, voltage right now is 108.7. My two radios (on receive) cause the voltage to drop about .4 volts. When the voltage is running low, I

What is it in other locations and other circuits particularly at the breaker? How about the mains coming into the house?

If this is the only circuit that is low, I'd make haste to check out the wiring in that circuit.
It could be the breaker itself, the connections to the breaker box, outlet connections (usually the circuits are daisy chained from one outlet to the next) and splice boxes in the ceiling, or crawl space. (wires also come to common points in a circuit where they are tired togeter using wire nuts). Wires do come loose in the splice boxes and in the daisy chain at outlets creating high resistance joints that give excessive drop and create heat. (a real fire hazard)

typically see 104.7 or 104.8 without the radios, so adding them to the load sets off the UPS.

You should be seeing about 115 unless you are at the end of a very long line. Here the voltage is almost always between 115 and 118.

Two questions, I guess -- is the voltage drop with loading I describe above roughly what you'd expect? If necessary I can dig out the standby power

I don't see any drop when turning on the radios. There is some when loading the circuit heavily.

requirements for the two radios. And second, what is the US spec for line voltage? The power company is coming out to investigate and I'd like to know where I stand.

The lowest spec used to be 107, but that was with 110 as nominal. I don't know what it is now, but I'd think 107 may be less than the minimum. If it's out of spec it means they have to file a report in addition to fixing the problem if it's on their end. They will probably check to the weather head or in some cases the feed into the main breaker. Now days I think they like to see it 115 at the panel.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

73, Pete N4ZR The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 12 January 2005 2868 contest stations at www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm _______________________________________________