[TowerTalk] Need advice on effects of trees

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need advice on effects of trees
From: "Jim Jarvis" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:14:44 -0500

You can't change the topography without changing
residence, or antenna site, so I wouldn't worry about
the hill some distance away.

As for the trees, just be sure you have a clear column
for raising and lowering the antennas.

One of the things I learned..the hard that tree
branches that aren't in the way when there's no wind...
they whip around and up and down, and WILL snag a nearby
antenna in a serious storm.   I lost a 40m beam in the
backwash of a hurricane, up in VT, of all places...not only
did the branch snag and bend an element, it snagged a guyline,
and whipped hell out of the tower.

So...tree clearance is critical.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.