[TowerTalk] Trees, Mountains, 15 degrees...

Subject: [TowerTalk] Trees, Mountains, 15 degrees...
From: "Pat Barthelow" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:16:19 -0800
Jim Woods Said:

From: "Jim & Velma Woods" <>
Also, a few miles away is a mid-sized mountain which is east of my site.
I used a topo map to determine that the top of the mountain forms an angle
about 15 degrees above the horizon.  Is this high enough to be a concern?
Thanks for your input.
Jim, W7PUP

Hi Jim,

15 degrees above the horizon is a very large vertical angle. I checked what 15 degrees means at 3 miles and computed an elevation difference of about 4000 feet, in 3 miles.
Just to check the math, is your mountain to the east, 4000 feet higher than you are?
If will be a problem for low angle DX signals, as previously mentioned.

73, de Pat, AA6EG