Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:37:18 -0500
Al wiring is OK with the right fittings, isn't it? I see fittings in the stores marked for use with Al. IIRC, the service drop from the pole to the meter is still typically Al. Our wiring from the main breaker in the garage to the 100A subpanel in the basement (which has the branch-circuit breakers for everything but the garage) is Al.

Alan NV8A

On 01/24/05 04:05 pm tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

In a message dated 1/24/05 1:19:25 PM Central Standard Time, writes:
Maybe check to see if your house has aluminum wiring with copper pigtails at the wall sockets and switches. Was quite common in the 1970's or so and the wire nuts on the pigtails need to be tightened from time to time.
This is RIGHT ON!
Better yet - Get rid of the aluminum wire!!

I wouldn't knowingly sleep in a house with Al wiring - The fire is just a matter of when.