Re: [TowerTalk] RE: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 25, Issue 139

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, <keith@dutson.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 25, Issue 139
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:18:06 -0800
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
To: <keith@dutson.net>
Cc: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 8:10 PM

> I don't follow your logic here. The #10 wire that he had is ok for a 30
> amp breaker. Which by the way (the #10 wire) is "a little more than 1/2"
> as you advocate, for the 50 amp breaker but was obvious it was not heavy
> enough for the 50 amp water heater.
>
> Also why would it be ok to use smaller wire in a barn with too large a
> breaker on it? Barns do burn too.
>
> 73
> Gary  K4FMX

I don't have my code here to check, but, in general, things where human
occupation is not the primary function tend to be somewhat more relaxed (the
"farm outbuilding" thing). There are lots of things that are perfectly OK
for a farm building but not for a house/office/factory, from a structural
standpoint as well as electrical wiring.  Preservation of life is the
primary goal of the code, preservation of property is more between you and
whoever you owe money to.

This is one reason why those lucky hams who live on farms have a much easier
row to hoe as far as erecting towers and such.