[TowerTalk] TIA/EIA 222-F Antenna Calcs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] TIA/EIA 222-F Antenna Calcs
From: Steve Mathias <sbmathias@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:25:07 -0800 (PST)
I'm new to the antenna world, and have run into a roadblock as to how to apply
the 222-F standard to antenna arrays.  I can readily calculate the frontal
projected area of an antenna, but I'm not sure of how to handle the case where
there is a 4-around array of elements.  In such a case, do I just take twice
the side projected area for those two elements facing sideways into the wind?
What about the element facing downwind - is there some percentage of shielding
that should be applied to this area, since it is behind the tower?  Or, does it
contribute the full frontal projected area as well (which would seem wrong)?

It appears as though the standard is quite well suited and comprehensive for
towers themselves, but that the "appurtenances" section (2.3.10) is pretty
simplistic and incomplete.  Can anyone point me toward more information on
this, or someone who might be able to help me, even in a consulting capacity?