[TowerTalk] lighting and concrete

To: "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] lighting and concrete
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:59:40 -0600
I have a interesting perspective.
In my dual roll as a Firefighter AND a licensed Mason Contractor, I had many many occasions to see the results of lightning strikes.

On masonry chimneys with poured in place or precast concrete caps, the results were very similar and recognizable.
Large cracks, chunks of masonry/concrete thrown many feet.

As a mason, I had numerous occasions where I went to repair a chimney and after inspecting asked the homeowner if he had been home when the strike hit.
A number did not know that the cause of the deterioration was lightning.

Having experience, I'd take the proper pictures and present an estimate for repair of the lightning damage.
Never once was my diagnosis challenged, and in fact, one insurance agent even passed on my resume to the home office who frequently hired me to inspect claims before and after repairs.

The effects of lightning strikes on masonry and concrete are very distinctive and recognizable.
And VERY scary....

I went up the aerial ladder once to remove the debris from a church cupola that
got hit.
We THOUGHT the storm had passed.
I won't tell you what happened and what it did to my underwear...

Bill H. in Chicagoland