Re: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding
From: Doug Renwick <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:43:10 -0600
My 30+ years of experience agrees with Keith.  At a number of different
locations I have never had a lightning strike to my tower(s) crack the
concrete pad.  The legs of the towers are attached to ground rods near the
bottom of the concrete base (no rebar) and there is no external grounding
around the tower.

Keith Dutson wrote:

Here is an excerpt from PolyPhaser's technical document titled Document
Number TD1028: An interconnected concrete tower base can help the tower
ground system:

It is a common misconception to think that a lightning strike will blow up a
concrete pad.

Keith NM5G

-- Doug Renwick VA5DX PO Box 50, Clavet, Saskatchewan, Canada S0K 0Y0 First VE5 9BDXCC What profit it a ham if he gains all the awards yet forfeits his soul? I'll run the race and I will never be the same again.