[TowerTalk] Rohn 25;Tower flex

Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25;Tower flex
From: "Pat Barthelow" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:30:36 -0800
Bear in mind also that moving isn't breaking. A tower can potentially flex
a pretty substantial (and scary, if you're up on top) distance without
failing (and, in fact, that flexing is essential to avoid stress

I can attest to the 'scary' sensation of ANY movement of a pole, or tower, to those on top. While strapped off, on top of a very sturdy 65 ft wooden power pole, with a pulley/halyard tensioned dipole at the top, a ground crew assistant was told to pull her up, tight, which he did... WHOAAAAA...the 50 pounds or so of pull bent the pole what seemed to me at the time, like 8 feet..real scary.. When I did the same thing on the ground, watching the top of the pole, what felt like 8 ft swinig, was really about 4 inches...Then there is the true story about the guy changing the lamps at Candlestick park when the 1989 earthquqke happened. Free standing lighting poles probably 150' tall, He was interviewed shortly after the quake, and he was clearly shook up at his experience, hanging on through the earthquake...cant imangine what that woulld have been like...
73, de Pat AA6EG