[TowerTalk] Problems with IC 706 Mk II

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Problems with IC 706 Mk II
From: "John Waterman" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:04:35 -0700
I have recently started to have problems with my 706.  I am using an SGC 231
tuner into a whip mounted on the side of a VW Eurovan.  The radio turns
itself off and them back on again whenever I try to tune above 20 meters.
It works slightly better with the engine running (must be the higher
voltage).  Since the problem started, I have sent the tuner into SGC (for
the princely sum of $250 plus shipping). No problems were found with the
tuner.  Sent the radio to Icom and they say it checks out ok. Did try
another 706 and it worked ok.  I have tried increasing grounds, different
whips, ferrite beads, etc. Any suggestions?

John Waterman

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.