RE: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 26, Issue 4

To: "'Bill Fuqua'" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"'FireBrick'" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 26, Issue 4
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:10:07 -0600
Stainless steel threads have a tendency to gall, especially if the bolt is
over-torqued.  Once this happens, the bolt will not reverse and the head
usually breaks off while trying to remove it.

My experience is that hot dipped galvanized bolts do not rust.  Many are
grade 3 which is fairly soft and will break.  I always look for grade 5
(three marks on head) which is difficult to break.  Electroplated bolts
always seem to rust after a few years.  I do not use them outdoors.

Keith NM5G