Re: [TowerTalk] Glen Martain

To: "Dave A" <davarc@premier1.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Glen Martain
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:30:47 -0500

I just bought me a roof top tower from Glen Martain. They are out of thrust bearings and wont have any for about 6-9 months can I use any thrust bearing? Iam going to use a Yaseu rotor for a 4 element crush craft or a 3 element STEPPIR..

Yaesu makes a nice, but light duty thrust bearing. I'd assume it'd be adequate for what you describe.

DO I use one to match the rotor or the tower? Iam confused Dave

The rotor mounts down in the tower and the thrust bearing at the top. It takes the side thrust and eliminates the leverage (tipping moment) at the rotor. In some cases it helps to support the load, which you shouldn't be a problem with a simple installation. Some towers come with a pipe, or sleeve at the top of the top section. This serves as a good, simple, and effective thrust bearing for most ham type installations.

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL Life Member)
N833R World's oldest Debonair
www.rogerhalstead.com

KA7RRA