[TowerTalk] Comprehensive Grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Comprehensive Grounding
From: kb9cry@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:19:16 +0000
I'd like to offer a few comments based on my learnings and personal experience.
 I am not an expert but do know what I know.

A previous poster made the following comments.
Those facilities are quite standardized and are often
> built from scratch. If you want to convince me that a particular lightning
> protection
> system - grounds, surge suppressors, etc. - is safe and effective, you
> have to _test_ it under realistic conditions. We get anecdotes on
> TowerTalk, but I don't know of any serious testing.
I'd suggest you talk with the manufacturers of these devices (ICE, Polyphaser,
etc.) and find out what type of testing they have done and what are the reports
back from their users from the "field".

> > What I want to know is how I can make the best installation in my
> particular residence with my particular array of trees, utility lines,
> etc.without spending too much money . It's never going to be easy to
> use a standard developed for an industrial situation.

Amateur radio/antenna/tower installations are no different than a commercial
installation, the same laws of physics and nature apply.  So don't kid
yourself.  Maybe the real question/problem some folks have with the
guidelines/standards is summed up in the following phrase, "without spending
too much money ".
Many folks have a problem with doing it the "right way".  Again,
physics/nature/lightning don't care if you're a commercial installation or an
amateur installation.

> So I end up with an _amateur_ installation, hopefully using enough of
> standard practices that my station and I will survive the most likely
> environmental threats. And with some luck, I will even be able to work
> some DX.

So to sum it up, life is a series of choices.  You can read the literature,
talk to the vendors, solicit suggestions from other and then make a choice.
And then you take your chance.  Gd luck to all, Phil KB9CRY