Re: [TowerTalk] RE: Bobtail Curtain

To: "Dudley Chapman" <chief@thechief.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE: Bobtail Curtain
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:05:00 -0500
>     One thing I did differently was to feed it at the top
of the center leg
> with coax, rather than using the classic parallel LC to
ground.  I brought
> the coax off at a 45 degree angle to ground and used a
choke balun at the
> feedpoint.

Did you model this antenna with the coax in the model?

I'm not saying the antenna didn't "work" and make contacts,
but it is extremely difficult to get a feedline off an
antenna like that without greatly affecting pattern. A
simple balun at the feedpoint generally won't cut it if you
want a true clean Bobtail pattern.