Re: [TowerTalk] RADIAL WIRE

To: MIKE GREENWAY <K4PI@peoplepc.com>,TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RADIAL WIRE
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:18:43 -0600
Hi, Mike;

Regarding using aluminum wire for radials:

Aluminum is attacked by alkalinity in the soil, whereas, iron is protected somewhat by alkalinity. Some operators report fair service using steel electric fence wire for radials. I haven't tried the fence wire.

I bought a spool, several thousands of feet, of #13 magnet wire recovered from a transformer for not much money a few years ago and have been using that. Don't connect copper directly to either aluminum or to galvanized steel. I tie it to aluminum ground plates under the antennas with stainless steel bolts and ring terminals, so that copper never touches the aluminum. I use No-Ox or Ox-Gard and replace it annually on all the connections.

I don't work real hard at it. I mow the grass short and pin the radials to the ground with 'half staples' made of #16 steel wire from a farm supply store. I cut it into 4-5 inch lengths and bend a short hook on one end using two nails held in a vise for a fixture. I'm careful about snagging any of the radials until the grass grows over them, and after a year, have never snagged one. It took a few hours to bend them and pin nearly 6000' of radial wire under one of my antennas (antennae?). I surveyed the ends of the radials with a tape from the center and a stick from one end to the next, to space them evenly, and I recall that took about as much time as putting down the radials. Maybe I'm an amateur surveyor!

73 de Red

MIKE GREENWAY wrote:

Thanks for all the input.  One comment on the aluminum wire.  I put out
aluminum that was 14 gauge and in a year or two it had started turning
brittle and just crumbled up.  A lot of work laying all of that out was a
waste of time.  73 Mike K4PI