[TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?
From: "Derek Cohn/WB0TUA" <vibroplex@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:30:35 -0600
Dear Friends,

A few months ago, I asked for advice getting a 40' high center support
installed for my random length dipole fed with 450 ohm balanced line and tuned
with a homebrew link-coupled tuner.  Thanks to your guys advice, I now have a
support up and am ready to move my dipole from its' anemic 18' center support
to the 40' one.  The current anchor points of the dipole are on 18' supports so
it's a pretty horizontal antenna at the moment.  The anchor points of the
dipole are probably going to remain at 18' for the forseable future.   Since
the center support will be at 40', the antenna will become an inverted vee.
This gives me a choice.  As I raise the dipole up another 22 feet in the air, I
can either add more wire to the antenna or not.  If I do not add wire, the ends
of the antenna will be higher.  The antenna is currently about 100' long.

Would I be better off adding wire to the antenna or having the ends higher in
the air.  I primarily operate 80, 40, 30, and 20 CW.  Any advice?

Thanks to all who helped me with my advice on my center support.  I'll post
photos as soon as I can get them.

73,

Derek Cohn
Morse Telegraph Club - Alton Chapter