Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Height & Lightning Umbrella?

To: kd4e@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Height & Lightning Umbrella?
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:47:22 -0500
A good ground, a poor ground or no ground at all makes no difference in
the chance that lightning will or will not strike an object.

To determine the "cone of protection" that the tower will provide
make a ball with a 150 foot radius. Roll that ball on the ground up to
the tower until it touches the top of the tower. Everything under the
curve of the ball from the top of the tower to where the ball touches
the ground will be the cone of protection.

If the top of the house does not fall under that curved line then it
will not be protected.

73
Gary  K4FMX