Re: [TowerTalk] Tela-who?

To: <jimjarvis@ieee.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"WA9VRH Larry" <wa9vrh@mtco.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tela-who?
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:29:15 -0500
Actually, the "Cycolac" center-of-element insulators were problematic.  They
were on earlier antennas but I think were eliminated on later ones.  So,
there was some improvement over time.  Also, the "corona balls" were added
on later ones but may not have been on earlier ones, arguably "an
improvement."

It seemed the main thing that suffered when the company transitioned from
Mike, the dad, to Charlie, the son, was customer service.  But, I suspect
the ham market didn't have much appeal by that point, could have been "the
tail wagging the dog," versus the government/commercial/military, by that
point.

But, I've seen the same thing happen in other businesses, in other
industries, a "grizzled veteran" (that's how I think of it), has the
"vision" to start it, build it up, is really emotionally and personally
"invested" in it, and keeps it going.  When the company passes to the next
generation, some of those elements are missing and the company tends to
spiral down.  Sometimes the founder has some sort of "survivor's instinct"
that is a critical element that a next generation, who has it "given to"
them has a hard time maintaining.

Then again, if a business is really strong and set up to "run like a top,"
some of them do survive the transition, like when it's sold to strangers.

73 - Rich, KE3Q