Re: [TowerTalk] Titanix V160e Failure

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Titanix V160e Failure
From: Stephen Reichlyn <Stephen.Reichlyn@ryansci.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:51:10 -0500
Hi, Tom:

Further to your reply, I wonder if you would comment on the following scenario:

I have a Titanex V80E installed on the end of a 150 foot long pier. I feed
it on 160 through a
Hi-Q coil at the bottom of the antenna. It is 68 feet high. It is supported
by three sets of guys (4 way)
with the top guy at the 50 foot level. I wonder if I could improve the
signal from this antenna by substituting
4 20-25 foot lengths of wire attached to the antenna at the top guy points
with guy rope the rest of the way to the guy
anchors? The ground system is two elevated radials running from the end of
the pier to the land (over salt
water). The angle of the radials is 120 degrees (rather than 180 degrees).
That is the only option I have
for the radials.

73,
Steve AA4V
Isle of Palms, SC

>Bruce,
>
>Even if the diameter is uniform, very little current flows
>in those last ten or twenty percent of antenna length.  If
>the diameter tapers significantly, the current taper is much
>worse. We have the mechanical grief of having thin tubing
>waving in the air and that thin small tubing does virtually
>nothing to enhance performance. With a good radial system,
>there would be very little if not immeasurable difference
>using a high Q coil to base load that antenna and eliminate
>the top 30-40% or using the full Monty.
>
>If you can't solve the breaking problem and are worried
>about base impedance, maybe you can guy the mast and use
>wire for the last 20 ft of  guyline (or something) and
>attach it to the vertical top. That would increase base
>impedance and reduce loss if you use a less than ideal
>ground system.

Stephen Reichlyn
Ryan Scientific, Inc.
CALL toll-free in North America