Re: [TowerTalk] Was: Getting antennas into the shack. Now: SO2Rantenna s

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Was: Getting antennas into the shack. Now: SO2Rantenna switching
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:39:33 +0000
WS1L had asked about antenna switching matrixes.

Certainly a prospective homebrew project, though purchasing
something means somebody else gets to source the relays,
do the physical fabrication & get the electrical bits right - which
at the end of the day for most is probably worth more than the
difference between the asking price & perceived BOM cost plus
what one's time & potential frustration is worth.

Two comments about the Array Solutions matrix that is used
here:

1. It doesn't have enough ports, even for a station in an apartment
like mine.

2. One pole of the 3P2T relays is used for an interlock.  A number
of us are experiencing problems not being able to select an
antenna from one port at times, as even though that antenna
might not be selected by the other port, the third pole on the
relay for the other port might not make a good connection.

Neither I would consider to be problems specific to the Array
Solutions product - I am sure I would find the TopTen bits my
SixPack replaced to be a little flaky, as even the rear panel
connectors on the radios in the shack also become intermittent
from gunge that eventually forms on everything & is greatly
accelerated in a semi-tropical environment.

73, VR2BrettGraham