Re: [TowerTalk] Porqupines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Porqupines
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:20:55 +0000
David Robbins K1TTT wrote:
> They are supposed to prevent lightning hits.  Just think about this though,
> if porcupines dissipated enough charge to prevent lightning why would
> lightning EVER hit a pine tree that has many more sharp points on it, let
> alone anywhere near a huge pine forest!
-------------
I think we're talking metal vs another type of conductor. Porcupines
are not made to prevent a strike, but to siphon off static electricity
and prevent it from reaching a critical point.

Good case: Next time you go flying, take a look at the trailing edge
of the wing. Those little 6" or so stubs are porcupines. You may also
find them at other points on the aircraft.

Believe me, during my flying days, I got hit by lightning on the
windshield wiper blade nut so many times I couldn't count it. Still as
scary as the first time...well maybe second time.

One way I used to sorta predict when it was about to hit was to turn
on a LF radio. When the noise level increased dramatically, it wax
time to hunker down.

73
Ed