Re: [TowerTalk] Porqupines

To: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Porqupines
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:58:13 -0500

K4SB wrote:
> David Robbins K1TTT wrote:
>
>>They are supposed to prevent lightning hits.  Just think about this though,
>>if porcupines dissipated enough charge to prevent lightning why would
>>lightning EVER hit a pine tree that has many more sharp points on it, let
>>alone anywhere near a huge pine forest!
>
> -------------
> I think we're talking metal vs another type of conductor. Porcupines
> are not made to prevent a strike, but to siphon off static electricity
> and prevent it from reaching a critical point.
>
> Good case: Next time you go flying, take a look at the trailing edge
> of the wing. Those little 6" or so stubs are porcupines. You may also
> find them at other points on the aircraft.
>
> Believe me, during my flying days, I got hit by lightning on the
> windshield wiper blade nut so many times I couldn't count it. Still as
> scary as the first time...well maybe second time.
>
> One way I used to sorta predict when it was about to hit was to turn
> on a LF radio. When the noise level increased dramatically, it wax
> time to hunker down.
>
> 73
> Ed

If it were only metal objects that you had to worry about how would you
explain wooden houses and barns being hit by lightning?

An airplane is a different animal. It is of finite size and mass and
isolated from earth. Charge can be bled off with the trailing points.
But on or near earth the earth has a massive resupply of charge furnish.

73
Gary K4FMX