Re: [TowerTalk] Relay Specs - Coax switch

To: <keith@dutson.net>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Relay Specs - Coax switch
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:21:53 -0800
Tom has raised a number of important issues for relay selection ....

I collected all the relay posts from a few years at
http://home.earthlink.net/~w6rmk/relay.htm

There's also the relays used inside things such as the various antenna
tuners. There's a somewhat different requirement set than an antenna
switch... to a certain extent such things as isolation and parasitic C and L
aren't as important because you'll be tuning them out by adjusting the
overall C and L.  You'd have to watch out for parasitic resonances (somehow,
I don't think any of the designers of these things actually looked for that,
though.. they probably just got lucky, or it's unlikely in the first place),
and losses could really bite you.

In an antenna switch, though, you need nice flat response and good
isolation, as well as reasonably low loss.

Anybody want to comment on the relays in the QST article?