Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Restrictions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Restrictions
From: "TOMMY HALIBURTON" <ROCKETJ10@MSN.COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:03:12 -0700
To All,

We relocated from California to Colorado in September 2004. When we began
looking, we told all realtors (six, in fact) that the home could not have CC&Rs
or prohibitions with respect to towers, antennas, and/or motorhomes. Since we
have a 13 year-old, a school district with high academic scores was paramount.
In addition, lower crime numbers was a desire. This proved a huge undertaking
for some of them. I had a few friends scattered about and inquired of them. In
addition, whenever I heard someone on the air that resided near Denver, I
inquired about same.

To be sure we looked in several areas. The first thing we did was visit the
City Planner for each neighborhood and identified the community and our
intentions. Some of the communities had signs proclaiming " A Covenant
Neighborhood" in bold letters and we steered clear of them. We never wasted our
time in communities we were either not sure about or had blatant signs.

We found our dream house, purchased, and moved in. We made it a point to
introduce ourselves to all of neighbors. We received warm welcomes from all but
one. I made it a point to establish good communications to my neighbors as we
have done in the past. This is my normal nature and we have found that it pays
huge dividends without expectations

The tower permit cost was dependant on all tower costs (digging hole, concrete,
cost of tower, crane, etc.). Since I brought my tower with me and I planned to
dig the hole, my estimated total cost was less than $50. I had to submit a plan
showing the location of the structure as well as tower/hole specifications. In
my opinion the city wanted to be sure I was not encroaching on the neighbors'
properties, tower and hole were sound, and/or not digging up underground
utilities. Phase II was inspection of the hole after I had forms and base in
place.

I poured the concrete and the curing process is now complete. Phase III will be
of the tower in place on the base. I did not broadcast to my neighbors what I
was constructing although one (who happened to be a realtor broker) inspected
the permit. One day while I was in the backyard, he approached and inquired. He
had shown great tendencies from the onset and thus I confided my plans. He was
actually happy about having a ham in the area and indicated that he would be
insulted if I did not allow him to help raise the tower and antennas. I told
everyone else after the base was poured. In addition, I told them I was not
being sneaky and felt that silence was appropriate based on past experiences.

In my humble opinion, I think that the steps to undertake while looking for a
neighborhood are as follows.

1. Spell out to the realtor your desires. Do not waiver.
2. Enlist all friends, ham friends, acquaintances, family, etc. in exploration
of the desired areas.
3. Steer clear of neighborhoods that have blatant covenant signage or appear
dubious.
4. Once you locate your home, talk to the city/county planner directly. I
cannot over emphasize this point. No matter what other mavens/experts "think"
or seem to know, the planner is usually "Supreme."
5. At this time, obtain all required tower/antenna permit paperwork and read
carefully.
6. Now begin the the home purchase.
7. When signing the tons of paperwork, keep an eye out for any errant CC&Rs.
8. After the house closes, fill out and submit all required tower/antenna
permit paperwork.
9. Be a goodwill ambassador to all of your neighbors before you do any
construction. In reality, one should be doing this without any motives.

Do remember that if you buy a home in an area that has CC&Rs and they either no
longer have an HOA and/or have never enforced them, they (CC&Rs) are not "null
and void." Lots of people have ended up in court for years believing otherwise
and lost. Also remember that HOAs can create (for the good of the whole, sic)
future CC&Rs that can cause one real grief. They also have nearly unlimited
wealth for court battles. The old adage (modified by me) "Look long and hard
before you leap" is apropos.

While I would never choose to live in a neighborhood with CC&Rs, there are
plenty of people who do. It is a matter of choice.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE (Now in zero land)
DX IS