[TowerTalk] Rohn 55 base adaptor

To: towertalk@contesting.com, barrie@centric.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 base adaptor
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 07:17:35 EST
In a message dated 4/1/2005 9:34:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,

Recently lost my second 70', 18" face Glen Martin tower to yet another
"freak" windstorm.
    Sorry to hear that.

    First question, did you file a claim with your insurance company? I
imagine you did but just checking.

    Next, are the GME towers that bad that you've had TWO of them fail?!? I
would say there are literally hundreds - or thousands - of Rohn guyed towers
that survive similar conditions.

I'd like to try something that's a little less impressed with freaks, so am
considering Rohn 55, which is also 18" face, but (I've been told) considerably
stronger.
    Yep. While 55 is the same outward size as 45, the 55 has thicker legs.
And since tower strength is a function of leg capacity, they're stronger.

The first problem would be that I would like to use the existing concrete and
steel base from the GM to mount the Rohn 55.

The base is considerably beyond the specs provided by GM.

I have three 7/8" studs, spaced 21" apart in a triangle.  The studs are just
over 2.25" above the concrete.

I have no knowledge of Rohn towers or Rohn bases, but it would seem to me
that there may be a Rohn 55 base that I could (safely and well) adapt to my
existing concrete and steel assembly.
    There is a flat plate mount available for the 55. Cut new holes in the
plate to fit your existing anchor rods and you're good to go.

    If one or more of the anchor rods are in the wrong place for your needs,
it's easy enough to chop off the existing ones, drill a hole in the concrete
with an impact drill, and then epoxy in some new ones.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Cell: 206-890-4188