Re: [TowerTalk] When a Yagi Loses an Element

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] When a Yagi Loses an Element
From: Steve Maki <steve@oakcom.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:47:46 -0500
> look a little off kilter the last few weeks.
>
> Fixing it will be a problem.  The reflector did no sustain any non-repairable
> damage from its fall from 200 feet.  However, getting the element back in
> place is a challenge.  The antenna is now very nose heavy and once the
> U-bolts
> are loosened, the front end will make a nose dive straight down into the guys
> wires.  I had this problem with the 5 el 20 meter KLM at 200 ft last fall
> after
> it lost its reflector and damn near lost the antenna.  There is no way to
> reach the end of the boom to attach any counterweight to it to balance it.
>
> I am not even up to figuring out how to get the element back out on the end
> of the boom yet.  The antenna is mounted in a traditional fashion on a
> flat-top
> Rohn 55 with no other antennas below it.
>
> Ideas, other than getting a crane or other budget busting ideas?

Hi Bill,

I would think a *cradle* made out of a pair of 8' or 10' chokers
would work, as long as you can get one of them out just past the
current center of gravity. Even if you don't quite make the center
of gravity, it will be a hell of a lot more stable (when you loosen the
bolts) then if you just grab it at the center of the boom. I'm assuming
you have a few feet of mast sticking up above the boom to hang a block
on.

This size antenna really deserves a tilt style boom to mast clamp,
because this exact situation should be planned for.

Course, you probably know that now :-)

GL,
Steve K8LX