[TowerTalk] trees and towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] trees and towers
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:20:17 EDT
Having driven all over Florida since the past hurricane season and talked to
lots of guys about their tower installations in the state, I would like to
toss in my own two cents.

Everything is a tradeoff with towers.  If I could only go 30 feet with a
tower in the clear or 100 feet with a tower in the trees, I would go with the
100
footer.  However, I would knock down as many of those suckers as I could.

Most of the 2004 hurricane tower failures I heard about involved trees coming
down on the guy wires.......not from the tower crumpling on its own.  The
worst culprits are the tall pines, they come down like guillotines.  When
building my station, the first thing to go was any tree that would be a problem
with
the guy wires.

An additional consideration is the use of Phillystran.  Any branches rubbing
against Philly, will quickly abrade the fiberglass and its covering.

Bill K4XS