[TowerTalk] World Class Station Conundrum - Update

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] World Class Station Conundrum - Update
From: "SJ W3TX" <superberthaguy@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 23:58:45 -0400
This is an update to my original post and lots of replies regarding my
conundrum of building a world class station on my existing farm (very
convenient location but having  escalating aggressiveness of school taxing
philosophy, existing airport ordinance, encroaching housing sprawl and light
industrial sprawl) or selling it and finding much cheaper land with no
zoning in the boonies.

Another shoe dropped from the PA taxing law so this past monday I made the
big leap and decided to put the whole farm up for sale (in parts, of
course!).  After thinking things through, with deep appreciation for the
replys and emotional support from the TowerTalk group, selling the existing
farm seemed the only logical choice when thinking "long term".  Who really
wants to get a station half built, and then find out they have to move it
just to complete the entire antenna system or to get an electrically quiet
location??

This project compelled me to become well educated in the law effecting
antenna support structures, the politics of property taxing philosophy, the
use of MicroDEM and HFTA to evaluate and compare antenna farm sites, and
remote control of a QTH .

I am now, with my wife's blessing, looking for that better farm (with less
neighbors, no zoning, and a topographically superior fresnal zone) on which
to build W3TX.  Until then I'll be operating at my existing station and
Bertha hosted at my parents farm (as long as they'll tolerate it).  Who
knows, maybe I can even talk them into letting me put up a 160 vertical and
80m wire 4-square??

Has anyone seen any saltwater lakes in northwest PA??

I'll update again when some significant progress has occured.

Best 73, Scott W3TX